Monday, June 23, 2008

Prescott weekend

I was invited to a wedding in Prescott. My best friend from a million years ago would be there. though I wasn't looking forward to the drive, I knew I would go, and a couple of days before the wedding my daughter asked if she and the two boys could tag along and take advantage of cooler weather.
Oh, yes, yes, yes... company would be much appreciated.
First stop, Lynx Lake... found a shady spot to park the car and a bit of shade on the shore to throw rocks and dangle out toes. Nice man next to us helped the boys fashion fishing poles out of sticks and then added line, a bobber, and a fine hook with a fake worm. Baby ducks amazed us as the dove under the water and bobbed back up to the surface like corks.
From the lake, we went to the hotel and everyone cooled off in the pool then dried themselves in the sun.

Katie stayed in town with the boys... she had places she could walk to they would enjoy and I headed off to Talking Rock for Erin and Brett's wedding.
Kay was there.... Erin's grandmother and the glue that holds the entire family together. She and I share the same birthday and for years we had classrooms next to one another. She wasn't too pleased about this picture... but I am.
Blurry picture ( I have the most trouble getting my camera to be still) but you can still see how beautiful the setting and the bride was.

Next day we hung around Prescott for a while, not wanting to return to Phoenix too soon. Pie is really tired, we kept him going the whole time... in fact he finally perked up when we sat down here, in this cool green grass to have lunch.
It was so heavenly cool and beautiful that K said she wanted to move to Prescott... everyone wants to move there, that is the problem.... she and William take a moment to watch clouds as the flit by.
The blue grass festival was in full swing. Music, mountain men, cowboys and saloon girls moved through the crowds... one fellow had a python the kids got to pet.

When I first decided to look for jobs in Arizona, there was an art opening in Prescott... I remember looking at where it was on the map and thinking it was just a little town too far from anything to consider. Chances are I would not have gotten the job anyway, but on Sunday I wondered how my life would be different if things had turned out the other way....

Later Sunday evening, I told a friend I had been to Prescott, and as always I wonder why I do not make the effort to go more often. It is certainly worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to live there too...