Sunday, June 8, 2008

6/8 redecorating

I'd been practicing not looking too closely at my bathroom for a long time. I did not look too closely at the tile in the shower, at the 30 year old medicine cabinet, at the sorry wall paper job I did so many years ago, I could not recall what the bathroom had looked like before... but in the past week, I browsed through an article on updating your bathroom and started noticing how badly it needed a face lift. So, the other morning, before I could pause to think too much about what I was getting myself in for, I leaned down and pulled at a loose end of the paper and riiiippp, the bathroom project began.

What I uncovered were holes.... little holes where things had hung in years past, bigger holes where old towel bars used to be...

and one big hole... about as big as the toe of a shoe... that had been papered over, covered up, and forgotten.
As the paper came off and the holes became evident I took the time to look more closely at all those other things... the cabinet wasn't bad, but the counter top and medicine cabinet are so 1970's, mass construction, the lighting fixture is that make-up mirror style and I read that sconces are in now... and the tile in the shower... as old as the house and showing signs of water damage beneath needs complete replacement... and the floor, well if I do the rest it would just be a sin not to do the floor.
So off to Home Depot I go to just dream and a sales person came up to me and asked if I would like a free bathroom consultation. I responded, "Is today possible?" As it turns out today won't work, but next Tuesday afternoon will.
I patched the holes this morning, but will put off painting until after Tuesday. No point in painting only to have to re-paint.
I know I can do many things myself... even the tile work, but I really wonder if I want to. Wouldn't it be nice to have someone come in and do a professional job, just once?
I'll keep you posted on the final verdict.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just for the record - i'm pretty sure that K. kicked that hole in the wall ;)