Friday, June 6, 2008

6/6 day for plans

What to do when you miss the girl? You just go see her... and today I bought the tickets for an October flight. Not soon enough, but as soon as I can go. Feeling as I always do when I commit to big travel, a little anxious, a little excited, and because it is to see this one, a little weepy.

I also registered for two Art Unraveled classes. Both are in mediums that hold some fascination for me, wax and plaster. I saw my first encaustic painting in Ketchum, Idaho some years ago and with my nose about two inches from the piece I examined every inch of it... amazing! The way color moved through it, the layers, the luminosity... and since then I have been on this little quest to learn what I could about the techniques. At a different Ketchum gallery I remember when I saw for the first and last time what appeared to be a plaster book. It was fabulous! Texture, texture, texture and color in layers that was reminiscent of encaustic, but totally different, too.

The encaustic book I want is not available until June 15... I can't wait to get it and begin to experiment here, on my own. One problem is I do not have a good work space for this kind of thing... can you imagine wax on my back patio at 110 degrees... I certainly would not have to be concerned about it setting up on me too quickly... So I will begin on my beautiful dining table and just put down plastic and lots of newspaper.

Anyway, now that I spent $$ on air and great classes, the stove I want will suddenly be available and it will be time to plop down some cash for a kitchen remodel... this is how things go, am I right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! You're coming.