Thursday, June 19, 2008

chaos theory

... it has been a windy spring here and the weather has been weird... the weather in all of the US has been doing weird leaps and shudders... floods and drought, fire and tornado's... I said to a friend I wondered what butterfly batted its wings to set all of this in motion...

and so, because of this wondering, I am asking myself where this ever-growing remodeling venture began... and here is what I have come up with so far... in March I decided to clean my closet and as I cleaned my closet and then the linen closet, I decided to get rid of all my faded and nasty sheets (that meant all of them)... once the sheets were set in the get-rid-of pile, I looked at my duvet, purchased to match the sheets and thought out you go... from the duvet (it was sage green) I looked at my bedroom walls... they were pale sage green... and I began to visualize something less... palest blue? softest light cardboard? Something that said traditional is out and minimal is in... I started to bring home paint chips, and browse the "oops!" bin at Home Depot and found a pale cream color for only $5 (being cheap has led me to spending exorbitant amounts of money before... I should have known!) a couple days later at another Home Depot, I found the same color again on the "oops!" shelf... and a week later I found yet another gallon that was so similar I knew that blended I could not only paint my bedroom, but my extra room and the bathroom...

anyway, it led me to pulling at a corner of loose wallpaper and several days later popping off a loose tile in my shower... and today I sat and picked out counter tops and cabinets for a bathroom I thought only existed in much more expensive houses...

today, I went to the bank and opened a line of credit... enough for the bathroom and whatever might follow... you know the carpet in the bedroom is original and the house was built in 1978...

a couple months ago, my daughter told me she wanted to paint her hallway... I told her "don't do it! it never ends there!"

here's the thing though, I feel completely okay with the whole process... I'm a person who trusts my gut, and my gut is never wrong (ok, liz, when I bought the vacuum I felt sick inside almost immediately, it was completely different) this feels like when I decided to sell everything and just move 2000 miles from everything I knew with two kids... this will be okay... but I really must find someone to share this shower with me, it will be just too wonderful to shower alone every day...

now I am wondering what caused me to clean closets...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's really funny. i've told so many people about your vaccuum purchase.