Wednesday, June 11, 2008

6/10 reality strikes

On Tuesday two big things happened. My sister arrived from Paducah, KY and Home Depot sent a guy to give me an estimate on a bathroom remodel...

It was great to see my sister, we talked, we went out for Indian buffet, we visited the parents, we went to water yoga, we read books in silence across from one another... she will be here five more days and then in a couple of weeks I will be heading to humid mosquito filled KY to spend some time with her and then swing north for a (gulp!) 41st high school reunion. (she says it is time we spent this kind of time together)

But it was the bathroom consult guy that completely captured my attention. Good grief, am I completely out of touch? I know you can no longer buy a new car for $2000, why did I think I could get my bathroom redone for under $5000? What was I thinking?

$16,000. That was the figure. I agreed to tear out all the old tile, fixtures, etc. and haul it away, plus take care of my own medicine cabinet/lighting issues and they would retile the shower and bathroom floor to match, install a new shower door, replace the cabinet, counter and plumbing fixtures... hmmm. The very nice looking gentleman told me it was a wonderful investment that would improve the resale value of my home... I smiled.

In the end, I just felt overwhelmed and exhausted by the whole thing. Even today, in my journal, most of what I wrote was ramblings about my bathroom... what to do about my bathroom...

Thank heaven my sister is here... that means any real decisions about the bathroom will need to be placed on hold for a couple of days. When she leaves I will decide, do I do it all myself? I am a pretty confident remodeler... or do I just do a paint, patch and seal job and say good enough?

What do you think? What do I do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

god, maybe switzerland isn't so bad. but you can definitely find a better price if you go independently (not w/Home Depot).

and indian buffet... yum.