Friday, November 30, 2007

rain has come to the desert

I have been praying for rain for over a month. A nice day long soaker that would wash all the dust off, that would knock all the pollen from the air... and today we got it. My whole body is sighing.

After a morning of gathering clouds, the rain started in earnest around 1 pm and by 1:30 the lights began to flicker at school. When the power finally went out for good, I taught art class with the door open, so a little light could come in. The power went on and off for a while and then around 2 it went out all together. The kids were so excited... rain is such a wonderful change here. They longed to go out and run in it... to get wet... to scream and squeal... and as the final bell rang, they had their chance as we shepherded them out the doors and to the waiting buses and cars. There I was, bundled, with an umbrella, telling them to stay out of the puddles and there they were laughing and dancing trying so hard to make a great splash without being scolded. They were so happy and so was I. I could not be too harsh in the face of such joy.

I just spoke to my daughter... the boys had just come in from running through puddles... W. got on the phone and told me all about it.... K. said she was freezing, but the boys didn't seem to be cold at all... she has a turkey in the oven and is about to put in the squash, so her kitchen should be toasty. I am thinking about a grilled cheese sandwich and a bowl of tomato soup... my family's version of comfort food. I recall it was the traditional no-meat-Friday meal.

I am so glad it is Friday. I am so thankful it is raining. I hope it keeps up all night long.

No comments: