Thursday, November 8, 2007

perhaps opportunity knocks

It has been quite a week so far. Monday began a new rotation of kids coming into my classroom and by Monday at 3:30 pm I knew I would have my hands very full for the next ten days.

I teach art. The truth is I love to teach art. I like to think up the projects, I like to break them down into small teachable parts, I like to see how different students find different solutions for my assignments... I like it when things do not turn out as I had hoped, but better... or at least surprisingly different. I like tempera paint and construction paper... but what I do not like is the struggle. The struggle to get kids to just be quiet, to listen to instructions the first time, the struggle to get them to care one little bit about what they are doing. I do not like the rudeness. I do not like having to arm myself with discipline plans and strategies every day. I do not like calling parents telling them their child is not behaving. I don't like it. Not one bit.

Yesterday in a meeting, Richard, the art teacher's link to the West Valley Arts Council mentioned that there was a demand for private lessons in the valley and that if any of us were interested in starting a small business we should let him know.

And I thought, "I had business cards made up last week."

Opportunity. Are you knocking on my door?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

uh, yeah!