Thursday, November 29, 2007

advent

On Sunday, after days of searching, I got a new library card. Today I found my old one... right where it was supposed to be, right where I had looked and looked. The librarian told me when she took my $2.00 fee that I would find my old one.

Advent begins on Sunday. For several years I have tried to keep this season sacred, hoping to not get too caught up in the commercial hustle bustle.

Advent is a time that begins in shadow and ends in the joy of rebirth. The Christian tradition begins the season with the Israelites in exile and ends it with the hope and promise of a new life. It is the time of the year when the days become shorter and shorter until the shortest day of the year, the winter solstice on December 22.

This year I am going to try to post every day of the advent. I am going to use as my guide, Night Visions by Jan Richardson. Maybe you would like to join me.

No comments: