Friday, March 28, 2008

hungry

On Wednesday, I went hiking with a friend and had an asthma attack... now my family says, "You have asthma???" and the thing is, this has happened to me before, but a lot smaller. This time it was a big asthma attack. I struggled to breath, my heart rate went crazy, my chest hurt. I made it to the end of the hike, obviously, but it was a struggle. The next morning when I woke up, my chest muscles were sore and my lungs still felt tight... hmmm.

But here is the thing, since Wednesday I have been famished. Probably not related to the asthma thing, but I guess I am linking it. I have been thinking about food. Greens and beautiful brown rice. Red beans Cajun-style and this sauerkraut salsa my daughter showed me how to make.

Sauerkraut salsa may not sound like a good thing, but believe me, it is about the tastiest thing there ever was coupled with brown rice and beans, some chopped up red pepper, and fresh onion.
The ingredients are simple, a small cabbage, a couple bunches of cilantro, an onion, several cloves of garlic, three or four Roma tomatoes, a bunch of beets, and several jalapenos.

Roughly chop the ingredients, saving the beet greens to wilt with garlic for dinner.
and toss them into a food processor...

From the food processor to a big bowl. Once all the ingredients are added, stir them together, add 3 cups of salted (2Tsalt) water, stir again.


Place the mixture in clean glass jars, pouring the extra liquid on top, leave about two inches for expansion. Allow to sit on the counter for three days, then refrigerate.
Doesn't it look beautiful? The flavor will be so tart-hot yet fresh tasting when it is all done. I don't know if I can wait three days!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you have asthma?

well, I do remember you worrying me last year when we went bike riding on the Saleve & stopped for lunch. I'm pretty sure it was one of your mini attacks then, but it still had me worried. Better go see the doc.