Thursday, May 1, 2008

pleasant weather

mmmm..... cooler today and although the wind still blows it feels like it is blowing cleaner air around..

I have these flowers on my patio. I have no idea what they are called, but I love the color... vividly blue violet and the leaves are a deep dark green... not Arizona colors (orange, yellow, red, olive) so that is probably why I like them so much... there is something alpine lake about them, something cool and deep, something refreshing.

I sat on my patio after coming home from the gym and watched the flowers, the different shades of green, the hummingbird feeding off the mesquite flowers (too much bounty for him to worry much about my hummingbird feeder) and a swirl of little insects near my gate. On closer investigation I decided what I was witnessing was a "hatch" since they seemed to be swarming on the other side of the gate as well.

I learned about hatches from fly fishing... a good time to catch fish is during a hatch, if you have the right lure. But no fish here and the only hungry birds like nector, not bugs... so these little fellows have a chance to grow and reap distruction as they eat their way to maturity.

1 comment:

Lilibeth said...

periwinkle, I think, and you are right, a lovely color.