Tuesday, May 20, 2008

sometimes I just sit and stare

It is my gym night... I guess I am not going.

This is the mind numbing time of the year, when everything just begins to fold in on itself and I lose track of time, bills, my last meal. I'm exhausted. My legs hurt. The bones in my feet hurt. I think I have something going on with one of my teeth. I could go on, but you get the picture.

I haven't signed my contract. It is in the top right drawer of my desk at work. I have until May 27. Why am I waiting? I plan on teaching next year. But every time I pull it out, I just check the deadline date and the salary and then fold it up and tuck it away. I think I am resistant... I want to give God an opportunity to hand me something wonderful in it's place. I should sign the danged thing. I should do it tomorrow.

When my last class of the day walks out the door, I just go to my desk and sit, letting everything go blank for a moment or two before I stand again to put away class bins, pull dried art from the racks, wash the brushes the way they are supposed to be washed.

For the last two days I have worn sensible shoes(you spell that UGLY). They do help, but I am so far gone, the aid is only marginal.

On the up side, I adore the kindergartners, and the 8th graders this rotation are so completely brainless and inept they remind me of lab puppies, all that exuberance locked in these big bodies. Even they make me smile.

A long weekend is coming. Then 7 more days. I can make that long.

No comments: