Tuesday, April 15, 2008

controlled chaos?

It is the final quarter before summer break. The kids, first through eighth grade went through four days of testing for the big Arizona test last week and we are all feeling a collective sigh of relief.

In the art room, fourth quarter, we have pulled out the scrap cardboard, the foam blocks I've been getting from the library all year, the computer and motorcycle parts I have scavenged and any other odd bit of wire, bottle cap, bead or sparkle. We are building fantastic sculptures!

The kids look at the treasure trove of recycled junk and wonder how anything can be made from it. Today I had second graders sawing foam. Probably none of them had ever touched a saw before. But there they stood, holding one side of the foam in one had and the saw in the other... I held the other side of the foam and monitored, coached and cheered them on. It was great fun. Kimberly, who can be a real busy-body pain was so pleased with herself she completely forgot to get into anybody else's business.

I like this. It is crazy and free-form. The kids need to work in groups, so the noise level gets pretty intense... by the time I reach the end in seven weeks, I will be worn out with it. I know I will get crabby. I really don't have room to store all these big projects, so the clutter factor will get to me, too. So I warn them, try to prepare them for my mini-explosions... they will happen.

Still, it is so worth it. I think they really learn more about being creative, working cooperatively, trusting themselves, and the joy of the unexpected in these last chaotic weeks when I pull out the boxes and bins of this'n'that than at any other time of the year. The projects, when they are complete will range from structurally sound and identifiable to wild and haphazard... but they will all be great. Getting something to just stand up is so very difficult!

The other day, listening to NPR a writer/journalist talked about how valuable being allowed to play was for his professional creativity. How working in an environment where play was not just accepted but encouraged really made him the celebrated journalist he had become. So these last weeks of school are my attempt to introduce that element of play into my classroom.

Today, as they worked and fiddled and talked, I stood in the back of the room and took some of the same material they were using and made what one boy said looked like a cowboy. They were amazed that I had erected something in so short a time.

How did you do that? one boy asked.

In fifty years, I tell him, I have learned what won't work.

In the next few weeks they will. too.

No comments: