Sunday, December 14, 2008

Star gazing

My grandmother's sugar cookie recipe. She made them every Christmas and every Easter they would reappear as chicks and lambs... they were so good.
She decorated each one individually, red icing for the Santa's, green for the Christmas trees. The stars were yellow and blue. The icing had a hint of almond and the cookies did not taste that good the first day... it was when they were three or four days old that the frosting and the cookie part finally came together. I have her recipe (I got it from my sister, since the last time I asked Gram for it she told me she had already given it to me... apparently one shot was all you get).

I only made stars this year. White icing with blue and yellow sprinkles. Kept my life a bit easier. 68 cookies in all. I had pondered taking them to the cookie exchange... but these, I think I will hang onto. Share them with family and friends in the weeks ahead.


They sat on my counter tops for hours drying before I could put them into tins, then it took several hits with a wash cloth and a scrubby to get the dried frosting off the counter.
But I find them nearly perfect. They are Christmas for some reason.
I have a week until the cookie exchange.... I'll come up with something.


No comments: