Monday, December 15, 2008

my day

Today is Monday... all day... and the kids came to school with no brain. Their bodies were there, but nothing else... a perpendicular line... they had no idea what that was.... they could not remember anything about last week. what they learned, where we were with the project... I told them we would try again tomorrow. I can appreciate where they are... I am barely there as well. It was the same for all the grades... paint. glue. They could do those things.... they just could not think about it.

I pulled a boy's tooth today! My first ever. What fun... his tooth was so loose at lunch he was having trouble eating and the gal I do lunch duty with asked me if we should send him to the nurse... I scoffed... it is a tooth, I said. I will pull it out if he needs it... I went over to him and offered to pull his tooth and he clamped his hand over his mouth and gave me this big-eyed no! No, he wanted nothing to do with me pulling his tooth... but later, out on the field he came to me and asked if I would pull it. Sure, I said. .. and he opened his mouth (turn your head Kathy, no I did not have on latex gloves, I had not washed my hands with sanitizer... ) and I put two fingers on the tooth and out it came.... was the thing connected at all??? His eyes got huge, he stuck his finger in his mouth and felt the spot where the tooth had been. I put the tooth in his jacket pocket (it zipped) and later saw him with his tooth out, showing a girl, with the biggest grin on his face. Pretty exciting for both of us, really.

My mom is in the hospital. She fell and cut her head and needed stitches, (her head is wrapped up like Marley's Ghost)... but because of her age and how fragile she is, they kept her. I went to see her and aside from the fact that she complained about the hospital food as she ate nearly every bite and asked the same questions over and over, she seemed pretty good. My dad thought he would be able to bring her home today... now he thinks it will be tomorrow. Borrowed time. That's what they are living on. All I can do is love her, love them both.

After I went to the hospital I came home and ate a light dinner and then went to the gym to walk the tread mill and take the palates class... I feel like an awkward cow in that class, but the music and the instructor are fabulous... so I will stick it out until I improve.

No comments: