Thursday, September 18, 2008

spinach pie and other food for the soul

Cooking is not my first love. I find it nearly impossible to follow a recipe, usually adding or substituting something along the way. The other day I made spinach pie and added some grated zucchini which made it a bit soggy but added little to the flavor and a whole wheat crust, but apparently these additions satisfied my need to dink around in the kitchen... and the outcome was good.
But as usual, too large for one person, so I have been on a spinach pie diet most evenings this week. I've found that a dash of Tabasco really adds to it, and last night I included a dollop of sour cream which wasn't as good as plain yogurt might have been.
While I eat my spinach pie I have been reading Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg, as I will be attending her workshop this weekend. Now that is food for the artistic soul.
She wrote the most amazing thing: The problem is we think we exist.
Don't you love that?! I've been toying it with it all day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

look at those beautiful countertops. why use plates?