Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Tuesday

Jerry, my brother in law pronounces it Tooooosdi…. One of the things that I like about him.

Today I was at Kate’s at 8 am… she was cleaning a house, Will was riding his bike to work. I was supposed to take the boys to story time at the library at 10. The day before they got a load of rock for the back yard … I was planning on helping with that too. Will mentioned, as he was leaving that the washer was full of diapers if I felt like hanging them… so when he was safely off, I located the laundry basket and began to hang a full washer load of diapers.

So, here I am hanging diapers and Pete is pulling things out of the basket and handing them to me… which seems like help except his rhythm did not match my pace… and William was playing with some bricks on the patio… I heard one drop and said over my shoulder, “be careful you might pinch your finger.” Of course he told me he was careful…then I heard another topple, and I said, “if you bump your finger I do not want to hear crying” he scowled at me… so anyway, he did bump his finger and he did cry and the crying lasted a long, long time… longer I am certain than the pain in his finger….. so I said, “lets go get ice-cream before we go to the library.” What a great grandma I am.

So sorry old William sup-supped (Bill Cosby, Why is There Air? album) all the way to the nearest McDonalds where both he and Pete had a cone. After the cone everyone was in great spirits, so off we went to story time. My cell phone rang in the library and I got a bit of a frown from one of the librarians, but we finished up checking out four books and three kiddie DVD’s and headed home for lunch… and yippee! Mom was home.

After lunch we went outside… Kate and I were going to move a bit of that rock before nap time… but it didn’t take too long for K. to realize she had locked us all out of the house. She tried all the windows, mumbled a few less than motherly words under her breath and then went across the street to a neighbors and called her husband… she ended up getting on her bike and meeting him half way to get a key that would let us in… I sat on the patio and played… it was a nice break.

In the end we moved all the rock we wanted to the back, killed two black widow spiders, and heaved a big football shaped rock out of the ground and out into the yard for further consideration. We stood an admired our good work and chatted about what to do with the considerable pile that is still left.

My left arm hurts. I need Advil and ice. This body is not accustomed to shoveling rock… but you know, I had a really nice day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

poor william, what a accident prone kid. i wonder if he gets this from me...

send pics of the landscaping job.