Wednesday, August 1, 2007

color, texture, yarn!

I absolutely love color and texture... I think I have mentioned that before. This whole color texture thing got me into knitting... and into a bit of trouble in the yarn department. I have a couple of years worth of yarn. I need to either a. quit working entirely and just knit, b. learn to knit a lot faster, or c. form a yarn club of some sort... Anyway, I frequently swear off purchasing any more yarn and usually find it pretty easy if the only stores I go into are Joannes's or Micheal's... but one of the towns we went through on our New Mexico trip was Los Ojos... and there, wouldn't ya' know, was Tierra Woolshttp://www.tierrawools.com/, just waiting to snare me.



Let me explain. Los Ojos is not the kind of town you would just drive into and say, 'wow, there must be some great yarn here'... No. It is a tiny, not overtly affluent little hamlet set into the rolling hills of north central New Mexico. But there is was, a yarn shop, within minutes of our campsite...

















I knew from the moment I spotted the sign on the roadside that there was a reason to take a closer look at Los Ojos, but driving down the main street of the town I could not have expected the wonderful place I would find. Tierra Wools sits on the northern edge of the town, within walking distance of the old Catholic church that serves as a landmark in most of these little villages. As I got out of the car and climbed onto the wooden side walk which fronts the building I began to see woven goods and hanks of richly colored yarn through the window. Once inside I found blankets and rugs, woven shawls and felted hats... and yarn. Hand dyed wool... hand dyed wool where the color moved and shimmered in the light. Beautiful wool. Wool that felt like the finest merino to the touch.



I couldn't resist. One skein, two skeins... beautiful tones that reflected the rare light of the rock, the plants and the sky of New Mexico. I also found that Tierra Wools offers weaving classes and wool dying classes.... I promised to return. When I got Back into the car, we took a picture of me with my new stash.




Oh, my! I cannot wait until I am home again and can begin to knit these beautiful colors together... and I am thinking about taking one of the weaving classes Tierra offers maybe next summer...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what pretty colors! and yes, the birthday package has arrived, but like a good girl I am waiting for my birthday to open it.