Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Art Unraveled

Today I played hookie from my teaching job and drove across town to the Embassy Suites to attend an encaustic class at Art Unraveled... what fun.

I have been enthralled with encaustics for six or seven years, since I saw my first encaustic painting in a gallery in Ketchum, ID. And since I found out what it was called I have been saying, I want to take an encaustic class... Well, it has taken quite some time, but I finally made it.


I took my camera and had planned on taking many pictures of the process, but only one was taken... once I got going on a piece it took hold of me and I thought of nothing else. This was my first one... at one point there was lots more on here, but I scraped a bunch off and ended up here. I love the bug and the dragon fly stamps.

These are the two pieces I made today. What I learned is I can begin this using white beeswax only and add in colored wax as I feel more confident... that most of your color can come from pastels, collage, and stamping.

While I was in Kentucky last month I picked up three grape leaves the insects had eaten out. I've been saving them in my journal just for this occasion. Now all three are preserved in wax.

I loved the bug pictures.... and they fit so well with the skeletal leaves... In this picture you can begin to see the translucence.

Here is another bug... I played around with adding color to this guy... see where I stamped Be Free... the other picture says Enter Here...
I go to work tomorrow, but tomorrow night I have another Art Unraveled class. Maybe I will use my camera more.

1 comment:

On a Whimsey said...

So enjoyed watching your work evolve!