Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Things I have to remember

busy day today... didn't go to work, but busy none the less, doctor appointments, dentist appointments... and while I was buzzing around enjoying not being at school I began to make a list of things that work and don't work in my life. I need to remember this...

What doesn't work:

Trying... trying definitely does not work, never has, never will... though I have spent 85% of my life trying... trying is a total waste of time and I am really going to attempt (not try) to never tell a child he/she should try harder ever again.

Rephrasing the question... never works. Believe me, if you ask a question clearly and get an answer you don't care to hear, stating it differently does no good at all. Know when to quit!

Pushing... pushing or prodding may seem to work for a while, but it will backfire. What happens, happens... you just cannot change flow because you wish to.

Controlling things... I met a lady who gave up trying to control her husband for Lent... note that she was doing two things that don't work... trying and controlling.. we know better, we all know better, but we forge on.

What does work:

Smiling... it is nearly magical... and I forget to do it all the time.

Seeing the world as perfect... one day I practiced seeing every child who walked through my classroom as Jesus... it was amazing.

Sending love... same as above

Being happy, having a heart filled with joy... it is infectious isn't it?

Hard work... hard work is not the same as trying... hard work may be hard but it doesn't carry the same stress... I have worked hard, physically, mentally, and felt this good sense of accomplishment during the entire process... trying feels completely different.

I'm ready for a world that works for me... maybe if I just remember what works and practice it, things will come around.

No comments: