Monday, September 10, 2007

barometric pressure, bio-rhythms and moon wobbles

Today the kids were antsy. My friend dyane said, "Didn't you notice? The wind shifted this morning..."

I have been in a downward state of mood swing the last few days, too, and trying to pin-point the cause so I can get over it.

It is disconcerting how moods shift and flounder. Sometimes my daughter will announce to me she is PMSing and she feels like this evil spirit has taken over her body. At the other end of the spectrum, a friend of mine who is heading into menopause complains of depression, sleeplessness and hot flashes. For me the amount of sunlight, sleep, or news that I don't expect and cannot (should not) control can send my fragile little self right over the edge. My mom used to talk about moon wobbles. I do not know if there really is such a thing, but when things begin to go south I often wonder about what that old man moon is doing.

Feeling down is not a bad thing. It feels bad. It is something I would like to curtail the duration of, like a head cold. The worst part of it is when it first arrives and you just feel like the most pathetic, miserable to be around, sniveling thing on the planet. During this first part I rarely even see that I have moved into a down state. Once I realise where I am, once I can be attentive to my down-ness, I begin to enter a more productive place. From here I can make some adjustments that might help, like in the winter time to remember to turn on all the lights. - This time, I need to just get busy living my daily life. I just need to be here now, because the thing that is tugging at me is at least related to fear and worry, fear and worry about the future, and I cannot do anything about that today.

The really good thing about barometric pressure, bio-rhythms and moon wobbles is that they can shift at any instant, jettisoning me to a much happier place. I look forward to that happening soon, but for now I will exercise, eat healthy, get plenty of sleep, and pray to remain here, in the present, where I really can make good things happen.

No comments: